CAAWS CEO – Position Profile
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is accountable for the leadership and management of all activities and operations advancing the vision, mission, values and strategic plan of CAAWS Women in Sport Canada.
CAAWS has a solid foundation and a supportive Board who recognize the importance of bringing innovation to the organization. You will engage with key stakeholders to effectively communicate the value and relevance of the CAAWS brand, programs and initiatives. As the CEO you will ensure our value proposition attracts sponsors and partners to support the vision and long-term strategy of our Association. You are ultimately in charge of growing awareness and support for the organization and its mission.
As a leader, you will attract, recruit, develop and retain the staff and volunteers that will help you achieve best-in-class objectives. You will inspire this team to support and add value to all participants and partners to which we are accountable. You will also leverage your recognized status as a thought leader to continually advance our position and be a positive contributor to the future of equity in sport in Canada and globally.
You are comfortable operating in a smaller, not-for-profit organization where you will influence the future success of the business. You have a proven track record of leadership, developing new business, sales and marketing, and customer service. You are recognized for connecting sponsors with properties to advance business objectives. Your energy and enthusiasm are infectious. People enjoy being around you because you are friendly, confident and approachable. You possess a unique blend of operations, business savvy and sales skills, with creativity, superior relationship building skills and a genuine passion for sport participation and equity in Canada.
Vision and Strategy
- In cooperation with the Board, develop and implement an operational plan to achieve the Associations’ short-term and long-term business objectives.
- Establish a business model that maximizes revenue.
- Manage the day-to-day duties of the organization.
- Creatively and effectively use all the talent available to achieve objectives and fulfil initiatives. Leverages the staff, volunteers, Board and partners.
- Ensure there is a clear accountability process, best practices, and reviews are in place and effectively utilized.
Sponsorship and Partnerships
- Continue to expand and strengthen crucial partnerships and funding. Maintain highly productive relationships with strategic private/public partners.
- Identify, prepare and submit compelling applications for government grants and funding.
- Responsible for leading the acquisition, maintenance and retention of corporate partners and sponsors to increase self-generated revenue.
- Ensure that exceptional service is provided and that all contractual obligations are met with private/public partners.
Marketing and Communications
- Lead overall marketing and communications strategy and activities that are focused on the monetization of assets and increasing the awareness of the issues, our brand and mission.
- Act as the key spokesperson and become an extension of the brand.
- Communicate the vision, mission and plans effectively to all stakeholders including the Board, staff, and external key stakeholders to ensure that mutual interests are served and objectives achieved.
- Align communication to ensure that our messaging is consistent and supports our brand.
Programs and Initiatives
- Ensure programs, content and workshops are focused on supporting the vision and mandate of the organization, and that they can be monetized.
- dentify and target key demographic groups. Provide initiatives to meet their needs and address gaps in the provision of services and support for girls and women.
- Align and collaborate with other organizations that empower girls and women.
Network / Relationship Management
- Work effectively with the staff, Board of Directors, partners, and key stakeholders to accelerate the realization of the CAAWS vision and strategic plan.
- Seek input and perspective on key issues and projects and be an active listener who builds consensus.
Operations and Finance
- Effectively manage the Associations operations to ensure all business objectives are met and continuous improvements occur.
- Ensure there are sound financial processes and budgetary disciplines in place, including identifying and implementing cost and efficiency improvements.
- Manage the preparation of annual reports and other documents on behalf of the organization.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS, SKILLS AND PERSONAL TRAITS
- Believes in gender equity.
- Five to seven years of progressive operational and business experience within a sport organization, sports related business, not-for-profit, or member based organization.
- Relevant undergraduate degree in business or sport administration, finance, human kinetics, health and recreation education or related field. A Master’s degree would be considered an asset.
- Brings an understanding of women’s issues and diversity issues faced in sport.
- An entrepreneurial mindset with strong business acumen and operational experience. Has developed and successfully executed an operational plan that supports the achievement of an organization’s objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to work with government and in the political sport arena.
- Intellectual capacity and professional stature to lead an organization. Operates with an understanding that responsibilities might change over time and has the breadth of capabilities to allow for effective leadership in all areas of an organization.
- An innovative thinker and visionary with the ability to engage and inspire others while staying focused on moving the agenda forward. Leads and motivates others to achieve the goals of the strategic plan.
- Strong marketing and sales experience with proven success activating a brand and driving revenue through multiple sources.
- Has been responsible for revenue generation with the demonstrated ability to identify, pitch and close deals.
- An outstanding team builder with abilities to seek out, nurture and build partnerships within and outside the sport and physical activity sector.
- Knowledge of government grant/funding application processes and has successfully taken the lead on submission(s).
- Strong advocacy skills to continuously advance the vision of an organization.
- Strong written and oral communications, public/media relations and events expertise. Brings a charismatic presence and is an adept public speaker who will enhance the image of the organization.
- Has effectively supported the requirements of a Board and its members. Brings an understanding of governance and experience working with a voluntary Board.
- Operates with fiscal responsibility demonstrating strong budgeting, business planning and resource management skills. Has experience with the challenges of an organization undergoing growth during difficult financial times and knows how to get things done with limited resources
- Solid project management skills and effective time management and prioritization skills. Develops long and short term plans. Plans, organizes and monitors performance according to priorities with the ability to multi-task and set/reset priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgement and decision making skills.
- Approaches problems from a solution-oriented standpoint and acts with tact and sensitivity.
- Non-territorial with a successful track record of performing effectively in a team setting. Driven by team success as opposed to personal success.
- Moves comfortably in all circles and relates well to a wide range of people with an ability to manage and influence strong personalities. Has excellent relationship building skills and ability to leverage connections in support of the organizations’ mission. Will ensure that you have a seat at the table and that parties are receptive to your message.
- An achiever, goal-oriented, sets high standards and is very focused on achieving results. Has the energy to invest what it takes to deliver, day in and day out.
- Resourceful. Will do whatever it takes to get things done.
- Confident, has strength of character and commitment to the highest standards of professional and work ethics.
- Has an outgoing personality; is approachable, friendly and open.
- Bilingual (English/French) is preferable.